The Registered Massage Therapists’ Association of Ontario (RMTAO) has published a guideline to assist individuals who seek massage therapy treatments in understanding the fee structure as well as the legal and professional practice requirements with which massage therapists must comply.
Registered Massage Therapists (RMTs) set their own fees and those fees are not regulated. Many extended health benefits plans cover massage therapy services. Some RMTs will bill insurance companies directly while others will require payment from the patient who then submits the claim to their insurance provider.
The RMTAO provides a suggested fee schedule as a helpful guideline of average fees. The guideline provides information on customary fees charged by an RMT and what you can expect in your first appointment and treatment. Other issues related to fees are described including the regulations relating to receipts, gift certificates, suggestions on how to handle tipping and how cancelled or missed appointments are handled.
Fee Schedule 2021
|Appointment/Session Duration||Fee (HST excluded)||Fee (HST included)|
Ancillary Goods and Services
|Assessment or Re-Assessment||$103.00/hour|
|Preparing a Report (progress or medical legal reports)||$103.00/hour|
|Completion of Forms (where fees are not stipulated by Government Regulation)||$103.00/hour|
|Review of Records (copying, transfer, or for court testimony)||$103.00/hour|
|Review and Court Preparation Time||$103.00/hour|
|Half-day rate (court appearance, corporate outcalls, labour support)||$425.00|
|Full-day rate (court appearance, corporate outcalls, labour support)||$770.00|
|Pre-birth visits to obtain health history, conduct assessment and provide practical support and information, in the course of providing labour support||$103.00/hour|
|Labour support by phone or email (unlimited)||no charge|
|Unlimited support for the duration of labour and around two hours following (half day)||$425.00|
|Unlimited support for the duration of labour and around two hours following (full day)||$770.00|
|Photocopying of Records||at cost|
|Transfer of Records (by mail or courier)||at cost|
|Kilometres travelled||$0.58 per kilometre|
* For ease of reference, the HST-included approach is used; however, this fee should be adjusted when using a HST-excluded model.
- Extended Health Insurance Plans, which may be sponsored by employers, purchased by consumers or administered by private companies
- Automobile insurance companies, in the case of victims of motor vehicle accidents
- The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, in the case of workers injured on a work site
- Transportation to a massage therapy office may be reimbursed to persons who qualify under the Ontario Disability Support Program.